Feel great with this healthy Nutella
Is Nutella Healthy?
Finally a “breakfast” food I can pronounce all the ingredients! But wait… is it actually healthy and beneficial?
Based on their commercials, you think it would be a health food!
There may be some hidden problems in the simple ingredients, lets have a look!
Nutella Ingredients: sugar, palm oil, hazelnuts, cocoa, skimmed milk powder, whey powder, soy lecithin, and vanillin
So, simple my niece can pronounce them!
However, they’re extremely cheap and the products are contributing to deforestation, habitat destruction, water pollution, and human rights offenses.
A few red flags!
We’re not against treats and desserts, we believe that there’s better options out there! It’s quick, simple, healthy, and tastes delicious (guilt free too).
A Healthy option
- 1 cup (125g) hazelnuts
- 4 tbsp raw cacao powder
- 4 tbsp milk (I used unsweetened almond milk, but any kind will work)
- 4 tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 4 tbsp maple syrup (or local honey)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla paste (or 1 tsp vanilla extract)
- pinch pink Himalayan salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (176 C) and add hazelnuts to a baking sheet in a single layer. If raw, roast for a total of 12-15 minutes. If already roasted, roast for 8-10 minutes just to warm the natural oils and loosen the skins. This will make it easier to blend into butter.
- Remove from oven and let cool slightly. Then start removing the skin by rubbing the hazelnuts between your fingers. Some patches may be stubborn so don’t worry if it doesn’t all come off but it will yield a creamier Nutella if you can
- Transfer all the ingredients into a high-powered blender or food processor. I’m using my Blendtec Classic which took me about a minute or so. If you’re using a food processor this may take slightly longer. Don’t forget to scrape down the sides to get it all mixed even!
- Taste and adjust seasonings as needed, adding more salt or vanilla if desired.
- If your Nutella isn’t sweet enough, add 1-2 Tbsp maple syrup or agave. NOTE: Just know the more liquid sweetener you add the firmer/stiffer the Nutella will get, so add sparingly.
- Transfer to a clean jar and store in fridge